Your Comprehensive Guide To Solar Water Heaters
August 15, 2023
Solar water heaters not only provide an excellent solution for reducing energy consumption in your home but also contribute to lessening our collective carbon footprint. You can harness the energy of the sun you to heat up water for your showers, washing dishes and doing laundry. Practical, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly, solar water heaters provide a myriad of benefits. Whether you’re an eco-conscious individual or a homeowner looking to save on energy bills, this guide has something for everyone.
WHAT IS A SOLAR WATER HEATER?
A solar water heater, as the name suggests, is a system that utilizes the sun’s energy to heat water. It’s an innovative and sustainable solution to traditional water heating methods like electric or gas water heaters.
TYPES OF SOLAR WATER HEATERS
There are two main types of solar water heaters: active and passive. Active solar water heaters use pumps and controllers to circulate water or heating fluid in the system. Passive solar water heaters, on the other hand, rely on natural convection—heat-induced circulation—to distribute hot water. Each solar water heater consists of two primary components: solar collectors and storage tanks.
The solar collectors capture and absorb the sun’s energy, converting it into heat. This heat is then transferred to the water or heating fluid. The heated water is stored in the storage tanks, ready to be used when needed.Solar collectors can be installed on rooftops, yards, or any location that receives adequate sunlight. They come in two primary designs: flat-plate collectors and evacuated-tube collectors.
The storage tanks in a solar water heater can be installed either on the rooftop or on the ground, depending on the system’s design. Some systems use the traditional water heater as a storage tank and as a backup source of heat when solar energy is insufficient.
BENEFITS OF SOLAR WATER HEATERS
- Energy Cost Savings: One of the most enticing benefits of a solar water heater is the savings on energy bills. After the initial investment, the cost of heating your water drops dramatically as you’ll be drawing energy from the sun, a free and abundant resource. On average, a solar water heater can supply between 50-90% of your hot water needs, significantly reducing your reliance on gas or electricity.
- Environmentally Friendly: Solar water heaters are an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint. They utilize a renewable source of energy, producing far less CO2 emissions compared to traditional water heaters. By choosing solar energy over fossil fuels, you’re contributing to the fight against climate change.
- Reliable and Consistent: Contrary to popular belief, solar water heaters work efficiently all year round. Even in colder climates, these systems are designed to absorb and convert sunlight into heat. Many models also include a conventional water heating system as a backup for periods of high demand or low sunlight.
- Longevity and Durability: Solar water heaters are built to last. With fewer moving parts compared to conventional water heaters, they’re less prone to breakdowns. Plus, they’re designed to withstand the elements. A well-maintained system can last up to 20 years or more, making it a durable, long-term investment.
- Increases Property Value: With the growing emphasis on sustainability and energy efficiency in real estate, homes equipped with solar water heaters can command higher prices on the market. They’re seen as a valuable, modern upgrade that prospective buyers are willing to pay extra for.
- Energy Independence: By harnessing the sun’s energy, you’re increasing your home’s energy independence. You’re less affected by fluctuations in energy prices, and you have the peace of mind knowing that you have a reliable source of hot water that isn’t dependent on the grid.
READY TO EMBRACE SOLAR POWER?
Get in touch with the team at North Coast Power & Water. Our solar hot water specialists can provide tailored advice, taking into consideration your specific circumstances and home setup. We offer trusted advice and generous system warranties for your peace of mind. So, what are you waiting for, go solar today.